Washington House
333 First Street

Built in 1850-51 and originally located at the East 5th Street wharf, this building served as a hotel for some members of the state legislature during the time when Benicia was California's third capital.  Daniel Hastings moved the present building to this site in 1856.  In its colorful history it has served as home to the offices of the "Solano County Herald" newspaper, a butcher shop, a dry goods store, a lawyer's office, a Chinese lottery, a speak easy during prohibition days, a bordello, an artist studio and a restaurant.