Southern Pacific Train Depot
This building, originally erected in the mid 1890’s in the town of Banta in Contra Costa County, was moved and erected at its present site in 1902. The depot location, at what was the entrance to the city and the center of Benicia’s commercial and industrial activities for many years, made this the most visible and visited building in Benicia. The depot was the last stop before train and travelers boarded “the largest ferry in the world”, the Solano/Contra Costa Ferry, which carried them across the Carquinez Strait to Port Costa. Restored by the city and volunteer funding in 2001, the depot now is home to the Benicia Main Street Program.